Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ben’s Zen Driving

Nothing is more aggravating and stress inducing than a commute to or from work.  For 11 years I drove 35 miles each way for my employment, covering a time frame of 45 to 60 minutes, depending on traffic conditions.  Most of that time I endeavored to minimize my time on the road by keeping up with the other hurried people and driving a standard 10 miles per hour over the limit while jockeying for better position in the traffic.
Upon arriving at work it I would have an elevated stress level that would last throughout, and even spike, during the work day.  When it was all done I would drive home in the same manner, totally stressed out and not ready to give my family my best.
One day I asked myself “Why do I have to drive like this?  Does it even make any difference?” and I set upon an experiment to test the theory that stressful driving is pointless.  I set up some rules to help me overcome my habits:
  • Drive in the slow lane as much as possible
  • Stay within 5 mph of the speed limit (above or below) as much as possible.
  • Keep a comfortable driving distance behind to auto in front of me.
  • Only pass when the auto in front of me is driving 5 mph below the speed limit. Otherwise, don’t worry about speed.
  • Don’t listen to the news or energizing music.  Keep audio low key.

So, what where the results?
I found that on average I arrived at work no more than 1-2 minutes later than before.  Often I would pull up next to cars at stop lights that had zoomed past me on the freeway.  That was gratifying!  My stress levels were much lower at work, getting my work day off on the right foot.  Getting home was easier and I am sure my family was happier to see me when I arrived.
I call this “Zen Driving”.  Okay, a quick google search shows me that it is not original to me, maybe I should call it “Ben Driving”.  Here is a link to a book called Zen Driving.

2 comments:

  1. Ben,

    Great post. I tend to drive according to your rules (which, granted, isn't often now that I sold my car--I take pubic transit here in San Fran). I found that my driving calmed down once my mind calmed down. The actual practice of Zen (of which there are a few types) helps a great deal with this. "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki is a great primer on the practice of Zen, if you're interested.

    I feel like our behavior is a pretty strong indicator of the state inside our minds. It's probably fair to say that people who race around on the freeway are internally pretty frantic too.

    Love your blog, keep it up!

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is "Ben" driving then you might be a "ben master"!

    I concur. This reminds me of Uchdorf's Tree Rings and Turbulence analogy. He said, "lets be honest, it is very easy to be busy". It applies in driving that stressed driving is somehow equivalent to important driving. Stressed out workers must be doing extra important work or they would not be so stressed.

    ReplyDelete